When we hear strawberry shortcake, cookie doesn’t come up in my mind. So when we had the most adorable little strawberries, I couldn’t not bake with them. No rhubarab so there goes my strawberry rhubarb pie, but I had just gotten heavy cream while I was at the store getting butter for the Nutella Buttercream (see Baci Blondies with Nutella Buttercream ) Helloooooo heaven. These were so light and refreshing compared to the bold flavors of the chocolate and Nutella in the brownies. They were just sweet enough, but oh so tasty.
I made these from Martha Stewart and they were absolutely DELICIOUS.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries (small chunks, not strips)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 9 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, chopped into little pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and in a small bowl, combine the chopped strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp of sugar.
2. In a different bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and the remaining 7 tbsp of sugar.
3. Mix in the butter chunks to the flour mixture and mix with your hands (:D) until it looks like coarse chunks.
4. Stir in the heavy cream until it starts to resemble a dough, and then add in the strawberries and mix.
5. Scoop the dough onto sprayed trays, make sure to use an even amount of dough for each cookie. Sprinkle the tinest of pinches of sugar on each cookie (yummm)
6. Bake for 24 minutes, or until the cookies turn a pretty golden brown color and let cool.
7. If you want, eat with whipped cream (my mom made it herself with some vanilla extract- YUM) or just enjoy as is 🙂