I’m always looking for excuses to bake overly excessive amounts food. Because why not? So when my mom had a dessert party at our place for all of the incoming freshman going to Vassar, (where she went to college) my baking brain was in heaven! I’ll spread out the recipes over a couple of posts so you don’t have to read too much while getting ready for school (something all of us are dreading). Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies: Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies
From Martha Stewart
For the Batter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped**
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray an 8×8 baking pan.
- Batter: Microwave the semisweet chocolate and the unsalted butter in a large microwave-proof bowl for about 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring after every thirty seconds. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and the baking powder.
- Whisk the granulated sugar into the chocolate mixture. Add the eggs, and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture, and stir until combined.
- Filling: Stir together the butter, confectioners sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan and smooth out with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of peanut butter filling on top of the batter, about 1 inch apart. Drizzle the remaining batter on top, and spread to fill the pan. Drop remaining peanut butter filling on top. Gently swirl with a butter knife, running lengthwise and crosswise through layers.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs, but not wet, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes then dig in!
** If you would like a less sweet brownie, use 4 ounces semisweet chocolate and 2 ounces bittersweet
It’s peanut butter. It’s chocolate. It’s a brownie. It’s amazing. 🙂