This week has been hectic. Late nights filled with papers and math problems are starting up again, so my baking time becomes much more limited than it was all summer. My limited time however, makes the recipes that much more important, so when we had buttermilk and fresh picked blueberries we got at the farmer’s market, this recipe was screaming my name. Although I’ve had quite a number of experiences with muffins, I have never made scones before. I had been told multiple times just how easy they were, and now that I’ve made them, I’m hooked on. These weren’t too sweet, and they weren’t too dense and they were just amazing with the delectable turbinado sugar on top to give it that extra crunch. I know I’m drooling over this, so before I babble on too much, I’ll share this spectacular recipe with you!
Blueberry-Buttermilk Scones: From Martha Stewart
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) blueberries
- 1/2 cup low-fat or fat free buttermilk
- 1 large egg, plus 1 more for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado Sugar, for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 and spray an 11×17 cookie sheet.
- Whisk together flours, granulated sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix the butter in with a pastry cutter or rub together with your fingers until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Stir in the blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 1 egg, and vanilla extract. Drizzle over the flour mixture and stir together with a fork, until the dough comes together but a little bit of flour remains at the bottom.
- Turn the dough over onto a lightly floured work surface, and gently kneed once or twice and pat into a 1 inch thick round. Cut into twelve wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.Brush with egg wash and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top. Bake for 22 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
Once you try these scones, your mornings will suddenly get much better. 🙂