This has been one hectic week! Chemistry tests, practicing viola, and flipping in the four-inch wide balance beam have sucked up lots of my time this week. Sometimes, my usual makeshift breakfast of a bar doesn’t quite last me from 6:45 in the morning until lunchtime, so I created this peanut butter granola to satisfy my tummy in quite a delicious manner!
Before I started this blog, I did lots of baking and reading other blogs before me and my friend Deanna decided to start our own. One of the recipes that was a big hit in my house was a peanut butter granola, so after the success of the pumpkin cinnamon chip and pecan granola bars, I decided to experiment some more with this delicious breakfast (or any time of day delight). I used a base peanut butter granola, and made it much better by coating it with this peanut butter syrup that just made it melt in my mouth. Once you take one bite of this, you’ll wonder why any other breakfast made the cut!
Peanut Butter Granola- Makes about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (I used smooth)
- 1/3 cup honey (maple syrup tastes great too!)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For the Coating
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 370 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- Combine the butter, peanut butter and honey in a large bowl. Add in the vanilla extract and stir. Add in the oatmeal and coat completely.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan after 5 minutes.
- While in the oven, melt the butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract and maple syrup in a small saucepan over low-medium heat.
- After the granola has cooled, place in a bowl and pour the coating over the granola and coat completely. (I put mine in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to speed up the process). Wait until cooled to put into containers, or directly into your mouth 😉
Oh. My. God. Once you eat this granola, no store brand granola will be acceptable ever again. Ever. 🙂
(P.S. You can add whatever nuts or dried fruits you would like. I guarantee it will taste great!)