Happy August everyone! It’s hard for me to believe that July is already gone and that school starts THIS MONTH. That is wayyyyyy too soon. As usual, I had gymnastics and the usual schedule this week, but I’m also gearing up for a 2 week intensive chamber music program with some of my best friends. The first week I am playing Tchaikovsky string quartet Number 1, and the second week I am playing Dvorak’s American string quartet. It’s going to be a lot of work getting all 4 movements of both quartets in tip-top shape, but I’m ready for an exciting 2 weeks.
Onto these beauties. I had made these cupcakes because my brother was always talking about how much he loves red velvet cupcakes and how he wanted me to make them. But of course, after I make these cupcakes from Amy’s Bread and the icing from Gourmet, my brother says he actually doesn’t like cream cheese frosting and only eats the cupcakes that don’t have icing on them. Grrr. Also, since the recipe was made for a 2 layer 9″ cake, my mom was concerned that the recipe wouldn’t make enough cupcakes and had me double the recipe. There were so many cupcakes I didn’t know what to do with myself. I had cooling racks set up all around the kitchen (where cupcakes weren’t either cooling or ready to go into the oven) and the world’s largest bag full of cream cheese icing, going around the kitchen dotting each of these moist, delicious cupcakes with a dollop of tangy cream cheese icing. Even though I made have made a few too many cupcakes, they were certainly delicious. Who wouldn’t love an adorable red velvet cupcake on a warm summer night?
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Makes 1 2 layer 9″ cake
Ingredients- for the Cake
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 9″ baking dishes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, cocoa, baking soda and food coloring until it is a smooth paste Add in the boiling water slowly until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cake flour and the baking powder. In a different bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides. Add the flour to the butter in 3 parts, alternating with the red mixture until just combined. Divide the batter equally between the 2 pans and bake for 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs. Completely cool before assembling the cake.
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Icing
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Scrapings of one vanilla bean (optional)
- Beat all the ingredients together until fluffy. Spread on the cake.
To Assemble the Cake
- Take one layer of cake and spread a layer of icing on it. Place the other cake on top. Frost with the cream cheese icing.
A classic treat that’s sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face. Enjoy!
– Rayna 🙂