Happy Friday everyone! Sorry for the gigantic break between postings, but sometimes finishing all of my homework and getting in some viola practice is a tad more important. I can’t tell you how long I’ve waited for this Saturday to come. Last week, we were supposed to get the results from my seating auditions for orchestra back, but unfortunately my conductor was sick, so we were not able to get our seatings back. I’ve been patiently waiting this entire week for the results to come tomorrow, and I hope they lead to a good outcome!
Gymnastics is starting to pick up again too. The compulsory season starts this weekend for our girls levels 4-6, which means there’s only about 3 months until I take the competition floor again, hopefully as a level 9! I’ve been working on getting my beam series but with more and more numbers in I’m sure I’ll get more confident and everything will turn out great. :)
But with all of that chaos, I can always depend on cookies. While I typically make coconut desserts for my aunt, my sister came up to me one night and requested that I make something with coconut for her. How can I deny a request to bake cookies? These were quick and easy to whip up and yielded a fantastically delicious result.
Coconut Oatmeal Toffee Cookies- From Love Veggies and Yoga
Makes about one dozen small-to-medium-sized cookies or 8 larger cookies (I got 14 smallish cookies)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 egg, cracked and beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened, Ralphs’ grocery store-brand, coconut flakes)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (6 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon whole rolled oats (9 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons toffee bits (I used Heath Bar Bits ‘o Brickle baking pieces)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugars and stir (I did this by hand because this is a small batch of cookies, but use a mixer if you prefer). Crack one egg in a small bowl, beat it, and add half the egg to the butter and sugar mixture. Discard the other half or save for another use. Stir in the egg and beat the mixture until creamy. Add the vanilla, baking soda, coconut, flour, oats, and stir. Add the toffee bits and baking chips and fold to incorporate. Scoop one-inch sized balls on cookie sheets, at least 2 inches apart and do not crowd them (no more than 9 cookies per cookie sheet).
- Bake cookies for 11 to 14 minutes, or until they are barely browned; watch them closely because coconut burns easily. The cookies will continue to firm up as they cool out of the oven. Allow the baked cookies to remain on the cookie sheets for a few minutes to cool before attempting to move them to racks or eat them.
Quick, easy, delicious= Love