Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a nice day off for presidents day that was filled with lots of delicious food. I spent my weekend out in the Show-Me State, or St. Louis, Missouri for a gymnastics meet. Even though I was only gone for a few days, it was an awesome trip. I got to spend lots of time with my teammates and it was just an awesome bonding experience.
While we had a few days off due to Nemo, I used my time wisely. That is, I baked lots and lots of loaves of bread. I already explained to you my fear of yeast and how I stood up to it a few days ago, but before I get to more yeast breads I have to tell you about this banana bread.
You know you’ve made a good bread when you have 5+ loaves and baked goods in the house and this is the only one that got completely eaten in less than 2 days. Yeah, it’s that good. What makes this banana bread different is the layer of cinnamon sugar between the 2 layers of sweet banana goodness, and when baked, it turned into a caramel-y counterpart that completed this wonderfully moist bread.
Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread- from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter with a stand or handheld mixer on medium speed until well blended – about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a wooden spoon, stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, and vanilla. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar swirl ingredients. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.